V.C. Memorial Centenary
The centenary of the St George and Dragon Mosaic & V.C. Memorial.
It was during the horrors of the First World War in 1915 that Sir Albert Williams, (Colonel Commandant of the Royal Horse Artillery) proposed a Memorial to the men of the Royal Artillery who had been awarded the Victoria Cross. It was decided that the Memorial should be paid for by public subscription.
The firm of Burke & Co which had embellished the east end of the Church in 1902-1903 with the enamel mosaic decorations in the style of Ravenna, was re-engaged to place a large memorial at the centre of the apse, above and behind the altar. The mosaic panel depicting St George and the Dragon on a gold ground, was made in Venice, and placed centrally with above and to either side inscribed marble panels.
The work was completed and the Memorial dedicated in 1920. The VC Memorial remains at the heart of the Church and its association over the years with the Royal Artillery. We are hoping to prepare a booklet setting out the inspiring individual stories behind each name.
We had hoped to celebrate the centenary of the Memorial during this year, but like so many other things that has had to be postponed. We plan to include an act of celebration in an event next year, preferably in summer when the setting sun causes the gold of the mosaic to catch fire.