Bombed during World War II, St George’s Garrison Church survives as an evocative ruin with recently conserved mosaics, and a modern canopy roof, now available for all to enjoy.

Conservation
  • In situ conservation work during 2015 undertaken by the Skillington Workshop
  • In situ conservation of the Victoria Cross memorial mosaic depicting St George and the Dragon

Conservation

Since it was bombed in 1944, a substantial amount of the structure and fabric of the original building has been lost. And any surviving fabric has deteriorated and decayed after decades of exposure to the elements. So by the time HOLTOP stepped in and started developing the project that would eventually attract a Heritage Lottery Fund grant as well as grant aid from Historic England, there was so much fabric loss that prioritisng work was essential. As a site of remembrance safeguarding the Victoria Cross memorial with the mosaic of St George and the Dragon at its centrepiece, as well as the nearby chancel mosacis, was considered a top priority. Their protection under a new canopy roof was also considered urgent, and therefore formed part of the Heritage Lottery Fund project. 

Phase 2 appeal

Stay in touch